Re: [piclist] Re: PIC18F4331 getting hot


Apr 21, 2007

 


----------------------------

#10349 Apr 21, 2007

Hi there What would make my pic warm up? I have a pic onbreadboard and its hardly off cold, but i have one in a circuit and its gettingwarm. I had the circuit on all night, but never noticed if it heated, but i havejust turned it on now, and its warm. What reason would it warm up? Obvioulsy ifi had a wiring fault, but still, i'm not to sure! Thanks



----------------------------

#10350 Apr 21, 2007

Hey! Let me answer this one! Have you defined theinputs and outputs correctly? Cause if you use a pin as an input that is definedas a output, it will cause problems, especially if your using about six pinslike this!LOL, must concentrate more! ----- Original Message -----From:Paul LTo: piclist@yahoogroups.comSent: Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:00PMSubject: [piclist] PIC18F4331 gettinghot



Hi there What would make my pic warm up? I have a pic onbreadboard and its hardly off cold, but i have one in a circuit and itsgetting warm. I had the circuit on all night, but never noticed if it heated,but i have just turned it on now, and its warm. What reason would it warm up?Obvioulsy if i had a wiring fault, but still, i'm not to sure! Thanks



----------------------------

#10351 Apr 21, 2007

If you are running an 18F at the full 40MHz then it will get warm. Not

hot mind you, but definitely warm. If it is driving current on a lot of

its IO lines it will get a lot warmer.



DLC



Paul L wrote: > Hi there

>

> What would make my pic warm up? I have a pic on breadboard and its

> hardly off cold, but i have one in a circuit and its getting warm. I had

> the circuit on all night, but never noticed if it heated, but i have

> just turned it on now, and its warm. What reason would it warm up?

> Obvioulsy if i had a wiring fault, but still, i'm not to sure!

>

> Thanks

>



--

---------------

Dennis Clark TTT Enterprises

www.techtoystoday.com

---------------



----------------------------

#10352 Apr 23, 2007

--- In piclist@yahoogroups.com, "Paul L" paul_lav@...> wrote: >

> Hey! Let me answer this one! Have you defined the inputs and outputs

correctly? Cause if you use a pin as an input that is defined as a

output, it will cause problems, especially if your using about six

pins like this! > LOL, must concentrate more!

>

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: Paul L

> To: piclist@yahoogroups.com

> Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:00 PM

> Subject: [piclist] PIC18F4331 getting hot

>

>

>

> Hi there

>

> What would make my pic warm up? I have a pic on breadboard and its

hardly off cold, but i have one in a circuit and its getting warm. I

had the circuit on all night, but never noticed if it heated, but i

have just turned it on now, and its warm. What reason would it warm

up? Obvioulsy if i had a wiring fault, but still, i'm not to sure! >

> Thanks

>



And this is why it is important to put 330 ohm resistors in series

with all pins during the development/breadboarding process.



Richard



----------------------------

#10353 Apr 23, 2007

--- In piclist@yahoogroups.com, "Paul L" paul_lav@...> wrote:

>>

>> Hey! Let me answer this one! Have you defined the inputs and outputs

> correctly? Cause if you use a pin as an input that is defined as a

> output, it will cause problems, especially if your using about six

> pins like this!

>> LOL, must concentrate more!

>>

>> ----- Original Message -----

>> From: Paul L

>> To: piclist@yahoogroups.com

>> Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:00 PM

>> Subject: [piclist] PIC18F4331 getting hot

>>

>>

>>

>> Hi there

>>

>> What would make my pic warm up? I have a pic on breadboard and its

> hardly off cold, but i have one in a circuit and its getting warm. I

> had the circuit on all night, but never noticed if it heated, but i

> have just turned it on now, and its warm. What reason would it warm

> up? Obvioulsy if i had a wiring fault, but still, i'm not to sure!

>>

>> Thanks

>>

>

> And this is why it is important to put 330 ohm resistors in series

> with all pins during the development/breadboarding process.



I have recently found out that these resistors can play hades with

serial connections - My serial LCD would not work with this series

resistor and I had to jumper it out!



DLC



> Richard


S
e
n
i
o
r
T
u
b
e
.
o
r
g