Re: [MaxImDL] Question on Cooler warm up


Feb 29 1:40 PM

 


----------------------------

#48638 Feb 29 1:40 PM

Hello







I am running Maxim V 5.18 with a FLI ML16803 camera,







The camera cooler is running at -30C. When I press "Warm up" the cooler %

power goes from 68% (or so) to 0. It stays there until the chip reaches

ambient.







Is this a Maxim or a FLI driver issue?







Thank you



Adrien Richardson







[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



----------------------------

#48639 Feb 29 2:30 PM

Same behavior here with a QSI.



-Ryan Brooks

On Feb 29, 2012, at 3:40 PM, Adrien wrote:



> Hello

>

> I am running Maxim V 5.18 with a FLI ML16803 camera,

>

> The camera cooler is running at -30C. When I press "Warm up" the cooler %

> power goes from 68% (or so) to 0. It stays there until the chip reaches

> ambient.

>

> Is this a Maxim or a FLI driver issue?

>

> Thank you

>

> Adrien Richardson

>

> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

>

>







[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



----------------------------

#48640 Feb 29 2:46 PM

I believe that Diffraction has stated that no modern camera needs to be

carefully warmed, and that the warm up is there as a "feel good" feature.



-- Bob



You said: > Same behavior here with a QSI.

>

> -Ryan Brooks

>

> On Feb 29, 2012, at 3:40 PM, Adrien wrote:

>

>> Hello

>>

>> I am running Maxim V 5.18 with a FLI ML16803 camera,

>>

>> The camera cooler is running at -30C. When I press "Warm up" the cooler %

>> power goes from 68% (or so) to 0. It stays there until the chip reaches

>> ambient.

>>

>> Is this a Maxim or a FLI driver issue?

>>

>> Thank you

>>

>> Adrien Richardson

>>

>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

>>

>>

>

>

> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

>

>

>

---------------

>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

>

>

>

>

>









[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



----------------------------

#48641 Feb 29 3:26 PM

On 2012-02-29 5:46 PM, Bob Denny wrote: > I believe that Diffraction has stated that no modern camera needs to be

> carefully warmed, and that the warm up is there as a "feel good" feature.



That is correct. This whole thermal stress issue is rather overblown, almost to

the point of being an "urban legend". Most cooler stacks have quite a bit of

thermal inertia, and most don't even do a 50C delta anyway. In the real world

it just isn't a problem. You can just pull the plug.



Now if you cool your camera with liquid nitrogen, *then* I would be careful.



In any case it isn't *our* responsibility to manage the camera warm-up. That

responsibility lies with the camera manufacturer - their firmware and/or driver

should take care of it. We simply provide the button, and if they feel a ramp

is required then they can implement it. Obviously these manufacturers do not

consider this to be an issue.



(Many years ago we added some ramping inside our SBIG plug-in, but only because

we got tired of answering technical support questions about it. The feature is

actually completely unnecessary.)



Doug



--



Doug George

dgeorge@...



Diffraction Limited

Makers of Cyanogen Imaging Products

www.cyanogen.com/



100 Craig Henry Dr., Suite 202

Ottawa, Ontario,

Canada, K2G 5W3



Phone: (613) 225-2732

Fax: (613) 225-9688



Contact Us
This Site's Privacy Policy
Google's privacy policies

S
e
n
i
o
r
T
u
b
e
.
o
r
g