Re: Question: Maxim, Meade 416xte, SCSI and temp control problems


Dec 5, 2002

 


----------------------------

#4918 Dec 5, 2002

I just picked up a used Meade 416xte with CFW. It came with

MaximDL/CCD version 2.xx ( I think it was 2.08 and if I get things

working I will transfer the license as all was done officially)



I'm using an Adaptec 1480 SCSI card, running Window 2000 on a laptop.

Lots of disk space and 512MB RAM. I have updated the ASPI drivers to

the most current versions, the SCSI card shows no conflicts, the

camera is talking to the control box and the control box is talking

to the laptop.



I fired up Maxim and everything was working great. No errors, the

system was taking images fine, the filter wheel control was working,

and the 3 second downloads were wonderful. I had the temp set to 0-

degrees. Since the cooler was only working at 34% I decided to reduce

the set-point another 10 degrees. Upon doing so Maxim seemed to loose

control of the cooler. It no longer allows me to place a check in the

temperature control check box. The temperature readouts are greyed

out. Rebooting Maxim does not restore functionality. Rebooting the

camera and laptop does restore functionality. However, the problem is

reproducible. I can set the temperature the first time just fine. if

I try to set it again, Maxim seems to loose it's sense about the

cooler and no longer allows the check-box to be checked.



Interestingly, even though temp control function is gone I have

complete communication and control over the camera and filter wheel.

The camera still takes, and downloads, images.



Does anyone know what is going on ? Is this a known problem in

version 2.xx ?



It seems to be related to SCSI since the problem does not occur with

a serial connection between the camera and control box. I really like

the SCSI download speed and would like to get the SCSI working.



Thank you in advance for any thoughts !!



-Robert Fields



----------------------------

#4919 Dec 5, 2002

I am sure Doug will have an answer, but have you tried a thermal

reset of the camera?

See www.meade.com/catalog/pictor/pview6.4/guide.html for instructions

on this.



Doug pointed me to this recently, as temperature becomes de-

calibrated if the camera is disconnected without being powered down

first (which happens quite easily if you don't secure the connecting

lead to the camera head).



Edward





--- In MaxImDL@y..., "scopestuff2" scopestuff2@y...> wrote:

> I just picked up a used Meade 416xte with CFW. It came with

> MaximDL/CCD version 2.xx ( I think it was 2.08 and if I get things

> working I will transfer the license as all was done officially)

>

> I'm using an Adaptec 1480 SCSI card, running Window 2000 on a

laptop.

> Lots of disk space and 512MB RAM. I have updated the ASPI drivers

to

> the most current versions, the SCSI card shows no conflicts, the

> camera is talking to the control box and the control box is talking

> to the laptop.

>

> I fired up Maxim and everything was working great. No errors, the

> system was taking images fine, the filter wheel control was

working,

> and the 3 second downloads were wonderful. I had the temp set to 0-

> degrees. Since the cooler was only working at 34% I decided to

reduce

> the set-point another 10 degrees. Upon doing so Maxim seemed to

loose

> control of the cooler. It no longer allows me to place a check in

the

> temperature control check box. The temperature readouts are greyed

> out. Rebooting Maxim does not restore functionality. Rebooting the

> camera and laptop does restore functionality. However, the problem

is

> reproducible. I can set the temperature the first time just fine.

if

> I try to set it again, Maxim seems to loose it's sense about the

> cooler and no longer allows the check-box to be checked.

>

> Interestingly, even though temp control function is gone I have

> complete communication and control over the camera and filter

wheel.

> The camera still takes, and downloads, images.

>

> Does anyone know what is going on ? Is this a known problem in

> version 2.xx ?

>

> It seems to be related to SCSI since the problem does not occur

with

> a serial connection between the camera and control box. I really

like

> the SCSI download speed and would like to get the SCSI working.

>

> Thank you in advance for any thoughts !!

>

> -Robert Fields



----------------------------

#4920 Dec 5, 2002

Robert,



Meade does not make drivers available, and the cameras are a bit... uh...

touchy. It took a significant amount of work, including probing the interface

with a logic analyzer, to create our own drivers for them. That is why we are

the only third-party software providers who support the 416/SCSI.



Over time we've steadily made improvements to our drivers. They have been

getting more robust and reliable over time; I think you'll find that the Version

3 drivers are significantly improved. That said, given the nature of the

device, I do not believe it is possible to make the interface completely

reliable under all conditions.



Doug



---------------



Doug George

dgeorge@...



Diffraction Limited

Makers of Cyanogen Imaging Products

www.cyanogen.com



100 Craig Henry Drive, Unit 106,

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K2G 5W3



Phone: (613) 225-2732

Fax: (613) 225-9688



---------------





scopestuff2 wrote: > I just picked up a used Meade 416xte with CFW. It came with

> MaximDL/CCD version 2.xx ( I think it was 2.08 and if I get things

> working I will transfer the license as all was done officially)

>

> I'm using an Adaptec 1480 SCSI card, running Window 2000 on a laptop.

> Lots of disk space and 512MB RAM. I have updated the ASPI drivers to

> the most current versions, the SCSI card shows no conflicts, the

> camera is talking to the control box and the control box is talking

> to the laptop.

>

> I fired up Maxim and everything was working great. No errors, the

> system was taking images fine, the filter wheel control was working,

> and the 3 second downloads were wonderful. I had the temp set to 0-

> degrees. Since the cooler was only working at 34% I decided to reduce

> the set-point another 10 degrees. Upon doing so Maxim seemed to loose

> control of the cooler. It no longer allows me to place a check in the

> temperature control check box. The temperature readouts are greyed

> out. Rebooting Maxim does not restore functionality. Rebooting the

> camera and laptop does restore functionality. However, the problem is

> reproducible. I can set the temperature the first time just fine. if

> I try to set it again, Maxim seems to loose it's sense about the

> cooler and no longer allows the check-box to be checked.

>

> Interestingly, even though temp control function is gone I have

> complete communication and control over the camera and filter wheel.

> The camera still takes, and downloads, images.

>

> Does anyone know what is going on ? Is this a known problem in

> version 2.xx ?

>

> It seems to be related to SCSI since the problem does not occur with

> a serial connection between the camera and control box. I really like

> the SCSI download speed and would like to get the SCSI working.

>

> Thank you in advance for any thoughts !!

>

> -Robert Fields

>

>

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

> MaxImDL-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

>

>

>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

>

>

>







----------------------------

#4921 Dec 5, 2002

--- In MaxImDL@y..., "edwardtroup" edwardtroup@y...> wrote: > I am sure Doug will have an answer, but have you tried a thermal

> reset of the camera?

> See www.meade.com/catalog/pictor/pview6.4/guide.html for

instructions > on this.

>

> Doug pointed me to this recently, as temperature becomes de-

> calibrated if the camera is disconnected without being powered down

> first (which happens quite easily if you don't secure the

connecting > lead to the camera head).

>

Thank you for this link. Certainly something try. The camera did not

get disconnected as it was just sitting indoors on a table - I'm

trying to get it all working before putting it on a scope. Perhaps

this will give me a way to recover without the need to reboot both

the camera and laptop.



A couple days after getting the 416xte I found a very reasonably

priced ST7e. So, now I have both. The 416xte has a filter wheel and

the scsi is fast when it works. But, perhaps I should just sell the

416xte and use the ST7e. The 416xte and CFW seem rock solid using a

serial connection, but downloads are pretty slow.



Thanks again for the information....



-Robert



----------------------------

#4922 Dec 5, 2002

--- In MaxImDL@y..., "Douglas B. George" dgeorge@c...> wrote: > Robert,

>

> Meade does not make drivers available, and the cameras are a bit...

uh... > touchy.



Thank you for the reply .... I'll try the demo of version 3 to see if

it's more stable.



Contact Us
This Site's Privacy Policy
Google's privacy policies

S
e
n
i
o
r
T
u
b
e
.
o
r
g