Re: processing log standard


Jun 14, 2003

 


----------------------------

#7110 Jun 14, 2003

Is there a standard nomenclature for recording a log of processing steps?

Does Maxim or AstroArt record a log of processing steps on an image?

Does Maxim or AstroArt provide a way to automatically add this processing log to the fits header as a sequence of comments?

Does some other application support this capability?



If this isn't possible... are there other users on this list who would find this feature of interest?



Speaking for myself, I would find it interesting to see the steps that others have used in processing their images. As well, it would be useful for me to have a record of the steps I used for an individual image. It would certainly help me to reproduce an image result given the same initial data. This would remove image processing from a pure art form to a "reproducible sequence of steps" that could be independently verified. Unusual details in a final image could be confirmed by others to be real and not a processing artefact.



I have cross-posted this request to a couple of lists. I apologize for duplication in any person's inbox.



Bob, Ottawa



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



----------------------------

#7111 Jun 14, 2003

Hi Bob:

Good question! I use MaxIm, AIP, and Photoshop and the only one that keeps

track of processing steps in a readable log form (as far as I know) is AIP.

A very useful feature!

Bert



Bert Katzung

katzung1@...

www.astronomy-images.com

----- Original Message -----

From: "Bob Hillier" bobhillier@...>

To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;>

Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 8:05 AM

Subject: [MaxImDL] processing log standard





> Is there a standard nomenclature for recording a log of processing steps?

> Does Maxim or AstroArt record a log of processing steps on an image?

> Does Maxim or AstroArt provide a way to automatically add this processing

log to the fits header as a sequence of comments?

> Does some other application support this capability?

>

> If this isn't possible... are there other users on this list who would

find this feature of interest?

>

> Speaking for myself, I would find it interesting to see the steps that

others have used in processing their images. As well, it would be useful for

me to have a record of the steps I used for an individual image. It would

certainly help me to reproduce an image result given the same initial data.

This would remove image processing from a pure art form to a "reproducible

sequence of steps" that could be independently verified. Unusual details in

a final image could be confirmed by others to be real and not a processing

artefact.

>

> I have cross-posted this request to a couple of lists. I apologize for

duplication in any person's inbox.

>

> Bob, Ottawa

>

> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

>

>

>

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

> MaxImDL-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

>

>

>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

>

>

>



----------------------------

#7112 Jun 14, 2003

Bert,



I believe that ImagesPlus also keeps a change log.



--Bob Montgomery

--- In MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com, "Bert Katzung" katzung1@a...> wrote:

> Hi Bob:

> Good question! I use MaxIm, AIP, and Photoshop and the only one

that keeps

> track of processing steps in a readable log form (as far as I know)

is AIP.

> A very useful feature!

> Bert

>

> Bert Katzung

> katzung1@a...

> www.astronomy-images.com

>

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: "Bob Hillier" bobhillier@s...>

> To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;>

> Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 8:05 AM

> Subject: [MaxImDL] processing log standard

>

>

> > Is there a standard nomenclature for recording a log of

processing steps?

> > Does Maxim or AstroArt record a log of processing steps on an

image?

> > Does Maxim or AstroArt provide a way to automatically add this

processing

> log to the fits header as a sequence of comments?

> > Does some other application support this capability?

> >

> > If this isn't possible... are there other users on this list who

would

> find this feature of interest?

> >

> > Speaking for myself, I would find it interesting to see the steps

that

> others have used in processing their images. As well, it would be

useful for

> me to have a record of the steps I used for an individual image. It

would

> certainly help me to reproduce an image result given the same

initial data.

> This would remove image processing from a pure art form to

a "reproducible

> sequence of steps" that could be independently verified. Unusual

details in

> a final image could be confirmed by others to be real and not a

processing

> artefact.

> >

> > I have cross-posted this request to a couple of lists. I

apologize for

> duplication in any person's inbox.

> >

> > Bob, Ottawa

> >

> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

> >

> >

> >

> > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

> > MaxImDL-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

> >

> >

> >

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to

docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

> >

> >

> >







Contact Us
This Site's Privacy Policy
Google's privacy policies

S
e
n
i
o
r
T
u
b
e
.
o
r
g