Re: [MaxImDL] Re: Processing images taken over several days / weeks


Sep 9, 2007

 


----------------------------

#29473 Sep 9, 2007

I am looking for a little help and guidance in taking and processing

some of my images using Maxim DL. I am in a city of 60,000 and am

using a 12" RCX400 scope with a hutech LPR filter. I seem to be

getting quite a bit of sky glow showing up on my images. I have an

outside security camera with an IR light that illuminates my backyard.

Should I turn this off when imaging? I guess that is kind of a dumb

question since CCD cameras are sensitive to IR. If anyone could point

me in the right direction as to how to image and process under urban

light polluted skies, I would be grateful. I mainly image galaxies and

nebula.



Thanks



Steve



----------------------------

#29522 Sep 13, 2007

How about some help with my question please... I am a beginner Maxim

user and was hoping someone would take a minute to help me get up to

speed processing images taken under light polluted skies. I know

there are techniques you can use but since I am new, I really don't

know them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.



Thanks



Steve Tuma



--- In MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com, "stuma2001" stuma@...> wrote:

>

> I am looking for a little help and guidance in taking and

processing

> some of my images using Maxim DL. I am in a city of 60,000 and am

> using a 12" RCX400 scope with a hutech LPR filter. I seem to be

> getting quite a bit of sky glow showing up on my images. I have an

> outside security camera with an IR light that illuminates my

backyard.

> Should I turn this off when imaging? I guess that is kind of a dumb

> question since CCD cameras are sensitive to IR. If anyone could

point

> me in the right direction as to how to image and process under

urban

> light polluted skies, I would be grateful. I mainly image galaxies

and

> nebula.

>

> Thanks

>

> Steve

>



----------------------------

#29525 Sep 13, 2007

Hi Steve,



I live the San Francisco Bay Area. A city of 60000 sounds like dark skies to me :-)



I use the IDAS LPS filter to image with. The color balance is reasonable, but I can still get gradients. I use a different bag of tricks depending on the severity, and some areas of the sky are just off limits to me.



I got Russ Corman.s Gradent exterminator for Photoshop. MaximDL has a reasonable function to correct for gradients as well. PixInsight has a background subtraction that will work. All these end up being trial and error to gain experience. I have not found one solution that works every time.



If you.re new to astrophotography, I would recommend some reading material: Ron Wodaski.s books are a good resource, and I find Adam Block.s DVD.s very helpful at getting the learning curve jump started.



What camera are you using? I find the gradients are more of an issue with the wider views I get with a DSLR.



I find the H-Alpha imaging doesn.t need a light pollution filter. I would imagine the same is true for other narrow band filters.



Does the LPS filter you use include UV & IR blocking? That would help, but turning off the IR source can.t hurt.



Audie







----- Original Message ----

From: stuma2001 stuma@...>

To: MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:45:06 PM

Subject: [MaxImDL] Re: Processing Images taken in Light Polluted skies



How about some help with my question please... I am a beginner Maxim

user and was hoping someone would take a minute to help me get up to

speed processing images taken under light polluted skies. I know

there are techniques you can use but since I am new, I really don't

know them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.



Thanks



Steve Tuma

--- In MaxImDL@yahoogroups .com, "stuma2001" stuma@...> wrote:

>

> I am looking for a little help and guidance in taking and

processing

> some of my images using Maxim DL. I am in a city of 60,000 and am

> using a 12" RCX400 scope with a hutech LPR filter. I seem to be

> getting quite a bit of sky glow showing up on my images. I have an

> outside security camera with an IR light that illuminates my

backyard.

> Should I turn this off when imaging? I guess that is kind of a dumb

> question since CCD cameras are sensitive to IR. If anyone could

point

> me in the right direction as to how to image and process under

urban

> light polluted skies, I would be grateful. I mainly image galaxies

and

> nebula.

>

> Thanks

>

> Steve

>











---------------

Check out the hottest 2008 models today at Yahoo! Autos.

autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



----------------------------

#29527 Sep 13, 2007

Hi Steve:

The lack of response to your question is probably because you're asking such

a broad question that people don't know where to start answering. Assuming

you've already read the Maxim manual carefully, I recommend that you get

both of Ron Wodaski's books if you haven't already. These provide the broad

base of information you're asking about. And you can see that since I'm

suggesting two full books, that it would not be practical to try to provide

that broad base by email suggestions.

Beyond those books, my other suggestion is that you simply plunge in (with

Maxim manual in hand), connect everything up, and start collecting images.

As with so many skills, hands-on practice is essential to learning. If you

have a local club or anyone in your vicinity who does CCD imaging, spending

a couple of sessions with them would be invaluable.

Once you're confident with the essentials of getting frames downloaded from

the camera and combined in Maxim, you'll be able to ask much more specific

(and answerable) questions of this group. I think you'll find that there are

a lot of people willing to provide lots of suggestions regarding specific

images that you post and you'll get lots of useful comments.

Bottom line: it's quite easy now to get images, given the excellent hardware

and software available. (Getting superb images is another matter entirely,

but that's not where you and I are at BG>).

Hope this helps a little...

Bert



katzung1@...

www.astronomy-images.com

www.visionlightgallery.com/katzung/

----- Original Message -----

From: "stuma2001" stuma@...>

To: MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com>

Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:45 PM

Subject: [MaxImDL] Re: Processing Images taken in Light Polluted skies





> How about some help with my question please... I am a beginner Maxim

> user and was hoping someone would take a minute to help me get up to

> speed processing images taken under light polluted skies. I know

> there are techniques you can use but since I am new, I really don't

> know them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>

> Thanks

>

> Steve Tuma

>

>

> --- In MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com, "stuma2001" stuma@...> wrote:

>>

>> I am looking for a little help and guidance in taking and

> processing

>> some of my images using Maxim DL. I am in a city of 60,000 and am

>> using a 12" RCX400 scope with a hutech LPR filter. I seem to be

>> getting quite a bit of sky glow showing up on my images. I have an

>> outside security camera with an IR light that illuminates my

> backyard.

>> Should I turn this off when imaging? I guess that is kind of a dumb

>> question since CCD cameras are sensitive to IR. If anyone could

> point

>> me in the right direction as to how to image and process under

> urban

>> light polluted skies, I would be grateful. I mainly image galaxies

> and

>> nebula.

>>

>> Thanks

>>

>> Steve

>>

>

>

>

>

>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

>

>

>

>







----------------------------

#29528 Sep 13, 2007

Steve,



The quickest way to get up to speed are the Adam Block videos.



www.caelumobservatory.com/video/dvd.shtml



HTH,







Terry

www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/index.htm





_____



From: MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com [mailto:MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of

stuma2001

Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:45 PM

To: MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com

Subject: [MaxImDL] Re: Processing Images taken in Light Polluted skies







How about some help with my question please... I am a beginner Maxim

user and was hoping someone would take a minute to help me get up to

speed processing images taken under light polluted skies. I know

there are techniques you can use but since I am new, I really don't

know them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.



Thanks



Steve Tuma



--- In MaxImDL@yahoogroups mailto:MaxImDL%40yahoogroups.com> .com,

"stuma2001" stuma@...> wrote: >

> I am looking for a little help and guidance in taking and

processing > some of my images using Maxim DL. I am in a city of 60,000 and am

> using a 12" RCX400 scope with a hutech LPR filter. I seem to be

> getting quite a bit of sky glow showing up on my images. I have an

> outside security camera with an IR light that illuminates my

backyard. > Should I turn this off when imaging? I guess that is kind of a dumb

> question since CCD cameras are sensitive to IR. If anyone could

point > me in the right direction as to how to image and process under

urban > light polluted skies, I would be grateful. I mainly image galaxies

and > nebula.

>

> Thanks

>

> Steve

>











[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



----------------------------

#38015 Sep 9, 2009

I use TPOINT on my Paramount.

I have a bunch of images I have taken.

They were not taken through the two automated programs I know of but were just a run I did for fun.





I'd like to load them up through MaxDL into TPOINT.



Is there a way I can do this ?



This would be very cool since you could take any observing run and see how bad things are.



I like to use AIP4WIN to align them and take the log from it and plot it.



This gives a very nice presentation of drift and periodic error.



Larry



----------------------------

#43513 Nov 12, 2010

I am still experimenting with the right subexposure time. Thus I have a mix

of 30 sec, 60 sec, and 10 min exposures with corresponding darks. If I give

all of this info to Maxim will it correctly match the lights and darks?





Rob Hawley



----------------------------

#43514 Nov 12, 2010

On 2010-11-12 11:47 AM, Rob Hawley wrote: > I am still experimenting with the right subexposure time. Thus I have a mix

> of 30 sec, 60 sec, and 10 min exposures with corresponding darks. If I give

> all of this info to Maxim will it correctly match the lights and darks?



Yes.



Doug



--



Doug George

dgeorge@...



Diffraction Limited

Makers of Cyanogen Imaging Products

www.cyanogen.com/



100 Craig Henry Dr., Suite 202

Ottawa, Ontario,

Canada, K2G 5W3



Phone: (613) 225-2732

Fax: (613) 225-9688



----------------------------

#43525 Nov 12, 2010

Rob,



When you use Maxim > Process > Set Calibration and you give it a bunch of different darks, the bank can contain several different types of darks, bias, flats, etc.



For bias frames, maxim will calibrate the light frames with a matching bias based on the number of pixels in X/Y, and Temp. I'm not sure but it might also use camera name.



For dark frames, it uses pixels in X/Y, temp, and exposure duration... and possibly also the camera name.



You can even bank darks for your autoguider if it has temp sensor. but that is a little trickier because software like ACP will automatically adjust the exposure in tenths of second intervals to expose for the best SNR.



I haven't figured out a proper way to configure Maxim for flats and flat darks, etc. If someone has some suggestions for that I'd love to hear them.



Thanks



Dave

--- In MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas B. George" dg@...> wrote:

>

> On 2010-11-12 11:47 AM, Rob Hawley wrote:

> > I am still experimenting with the right subexposure time. Thus I have a mix

> > of 30 sec, 60 sec, and 10 min exposures with corresponding darks. If I give

> > all of this info to Maxim will it correctly match the lights and darks?

>

> Yes.

>

> Doug

>

> --

>

> Doug George

> dgeorge@...

>

> Diffraction Limited

> Makers of Cyanogen Imaging Products

> www.cyanogen.com/

>

> 100 Craig Henry Dr., Suite 202

> Ottawa, Ontario,

> Canada, K2G 5W3

>

> Phone: (613) 225-2732

> Fax: (613) 225-9688

>







----------------------------

#43528 Nov 12, 2010

On 2010-11-12 5:07 PM, mogulskier_groups wrote:

> I haven't figured out a proper way to configure Maxim for flats and flat

> darks, etc. If someone has some suggestions for that I'd love to hear them.



Step 1: Take all needed calibration frames, including flat darks.



Step 2: Load all frames into Set Calibration using Auto Generate.



Step 3. OK.



Doug



--



Doug George

dgeorge@...



Diffraction Limited

Makers of Cyanogen Imaging Products

www.cyanogen.com/



100 Craig Henry Dr., Suite 202

Ottawa, Ontario,

Canada, K2G 5W3



Phone: (613) 225-2732

Fax: (613) 225-9688



----------------------------

#43530 Nov 12, 2010

I have been using the auto calibration and noted that it sorted by type and

identified binning, temps, and duration. So far I have always manually

matched like with like by only running the one minute lights with the one

minute darks of similar temps. I was fairly sure the answer was that it

would handle it correctly. Now I can just use it and know it will work as I

need it to.





Rob Hawley





-----Original Message-----

From: mogulskier_groups [mailto:mogulskier_groups@...]

Sent: Friday, November 12, 2010 2:07 PM

To: MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com

Subject: [MaxImDL] Re: Processing images with different exposure times



Rob,



When you use Maxim > Process > Set Calibration and you give it a bunch of

different darks, the bank can contain several different types of darks,

bias, flats, etc.



For bias frames, maxim will calibrate the light frames with a matching bias

based on the number of pixels in X/Y, and Temp. I'm not sure but it might

also use camera name.



For dark frames, it uses pixels in X/Y, temp, and exposure duration... and

possibly also the camera name.



You can even bank darks for your autoguider if it has temp sensor. but that

is a little trickier because software like ACP will automatically adjust the

exposure in tenths of second intervals to expose for the best SNR.



I haven't figured out a proper way to configure Maxim for flats and flat

darks, etc. If someone has some suggestions for that I'd love to hear them.



Thanks



Dave



----------------------------

#46691 Sep 4, 2011

Hey Gang;



When I run the stack command it fails to process my images. The error log will usually say I have 40 errors or so. When i open and review the log it says it could not align my images...It may align my luminance files but the others fail. I am trying to process an image set with multiple LRGB and Ha files.



I am new to this and would appreciate any suggestions



Thanks



----------------------------

#46706 Sep 6, 2011

On 9/4/2011 11:18 PM, merrickdr wrote: > Hey Gang;

>

> When I run the stack command it fails to process my images. The error log

> will usually say I have 40 errors or so. When i open and review the log it

> says it could not align my images...It may align my luminance files but the

> others fail. I am trying to process an image set with multiple LRGB and Ha

> files.



It's hard to make suggestions without knowing what is going on with your images.

I'd suggest you contact support, and supply them with 3 or 4 images that all

fail to align with each other. Also zip up your My Documents\MaxIm DL

5\Settings folder and send that along.



Use Help menu Technical Support.



Doug



--



Doug George

dgeorge@...



Diffraction Limited

Makers of Cyanogen Imaging Products

www.cyanogen.com/



100 Craig Henry Dr., Suite 202

Ottawa, Ontario,

Canada, K2G 5W3



Phone: (613) 225-2732

Fax: (613) 225-9688



----------------------------

#46868 Sep 22, 2011

Mr. George:

(1) I went through a collections of images that would not stack. I stacked each color, the luminance files and the Ha files. Each group would stack and I could then take them into color stack and combine/align them to get an image. BUT......the entire collection came out a jumbled up mess if I tried to do all together at once in the stack command.



(2) How do I best add Ha files to my image.



Thanks for any help or suggestions you offer.



Dan

--- In MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas B. George" dg@...> wrote:

>

> On 9/4/2011 11:18 PM, merrickdr wrote:

> > Hey Gang;

> >

> > When I run the stack command it fails to process my images. The error log

> > will usually say I have 40 errors or so. When i open and review the log it

> > says it could not align my images...It may align my luminance files but the

> > others fail. I am trying to process an image set with multiple LRGB and Ha

> > files.

>

> It's hard to make suggestions without knowing what is going on with your images.

> I'd suggest you contact support, and supply them with 3 or 4 images that all

> fail to align with each other. Also zip up your My Documents\MaxIm DL

> 5\Settings folder and send that along.

>

> Use Help menu Technical Support.

>

> Doug

>

> --

>

> Doug George

> dgeorge@...

>

> Diffraction Limited

> Makers of Cyanogen Imaging Products

> www.cyanogen.com/

>

> 100 Craig Henry Dr., Suite 202

> Ottawa, Ontario,

> Canada, K2G 5W3

>

> Phone: (613) 225-2732

> Fax: (613) 225-9688

>







----------------------------

#52518 Mar 12, 2013

Hi All







I've been an avid subscriber to this group for quite some time and am

constantly astonished at the wealth of knowledge on here. And I'm hoping

that I can harvest a very small portion of this knowledge with my first

post. It's a simple one J







I've been into astrophotography for quite some time now but most of the last

12 months has been spent trying to get my setup right. Finally I have some

data which I hope to make something of but I really don't know what the

correct process steps are in MaxIm DL (or indeed if there is any particular

order I should do things in).







I have in my possession some raw files from the weekend as follows:-



A series of images of M104 (10 sec, 20 sec, 30, sec, 40 sec, 50 sec, 60 sec

and 90 sec exposure times). There are several per exposure time.



A series of dark frames of the same exposure times. (I know ideally, I

should have flats and bias frames too but I haven't figured those out yet

!!)







What I need to know is this..



Do I need to do calibration on each of the frames before stacking or can I

do the calibration after stacking?



What are the best settings for stacking?



Do I need to do any color balancing? It's worth mentioning here that the

images were taken with an Orion Deep Space Color Imager II so that are no

LRGB frames.



Are there any other steps that I need to perform to get a half reasonable

image?











Thanks for your help in advance..







Thanks and Best Regards



Neil







[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



----------------------------

#52536 Mar 13, 2013

Well to start you do need to calibrate before stacking. In all the years I've done imaging I often ignored flat framing and that's resulted in a lot of issues with vignetting and image defects that had to be either processed out, with detrimental effects, or just cropped.



This year I've finally committed to doing flat framing using a homemade panel made from an EL sheet. See www.facebook.com/tomsastronomystuff



As to color processing, Maxim does a pretty good job and has a number of tools that will help you. Personally I also like to use Photoshop. If you want some useful instruction on Photoshop Techniques for astro processing, Google Adam Block Astronomy. His series of lecture videos cost $100 but is more than worth it.



Tom P.

--- In MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Allison" neil.allison@...> wrote:

>

> Hi All

>

>

>

> I've been an avid subscriber to this group for quite some time and am

> constantly astonished at the wealth of knowledge on here. And I'm hoping

> that I can harvest a very small portion of this knowledge with my first

> post. It's a simple one J

>

>

>

> I've been into astrophotography for quite some time now but most of the last

> 12 months has been spent trying to get my setup right. Finally I have some

> data which I hope to make something of but I really don't know what the

> correct process steps are in MaxIm DL (or indeed if there is any particular

> order I should do things in).

>

>

>

> I have in my possession some raw files from the weekend as follows:-

>

> A series of images of M104 (10 sec, 20 sec, 30, sec, 40 sec, 50 sec, 60 sec

> and 90 sec exposure times). There are several per exposure time.

>

> A series of dark frames of the same exposure times. (I know ideally, I

> should have flats and bias frames too but I haven't figured those out yet

> !!)

>

>

>

> What I need to know is this..

>

> Do I need to do calibration on each of the frames before stacking or can I

> do the calibration after stacking?

>

> What are the best settings for stacking?

>

> Do I need to do any color balancing? It's worth mentioning here that the

> images were taken with an Orion Deep Space Color Imager II so that are no

> LRGB frames.

>

> Are there any other steps that I need to perform to get a half reasonable

> image?

>

>

>

>

>

> Thanks for your help in advance..

>

>

>

> Thanks and Best Regards

>

> Neil

>

>

>

> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

>



----------------------------

#52537 Mar 13, 2013

Another piece of good processing software (if you are using Photoshop to do color combines and other processing) is NASA/ESA Fits Liberator (free download).

--- In MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com, "tpiccian" tpicciani@...> wrote:

>

> Well to start you do need to calibrate before stacking. In all the years I've done imaging I often ignored flat framing and that's resulted in a lot of issues with vignetting and image defects that had to be either processed out, with detrimental effects, or just cropped.

>

> This year I've finally committed to doing flat framing using a homemade panel made from an EL sheet. See www.facebook.com/tomsastronomystuff

>

> As to color processing, Maxim does a pretty good job and has a number of tools that will help you. Personally I also like to use Photoshop. If you want some useful instruction on Photoshop Techniques for astro processing, Google Adam Block Astronomy. His series of lecture videos cost $100 but is more than worth it.

>

> Tom P.

>

> --- In MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Allison" neil.allison@> wrote:

> >

> > Hi All

> >

> >

> >

> > I've been an avid subscriber to this group for quite some time and am

> > constantly astonished at the wealth of knowledge on here. And I'm hoping

> > that I can harvest a very small portion of this knowledge with my first

> > post. It's a simple one J

> >

> >

> >

> > I've been into astrophotography for quite some time now but most of the last

> > 12 months has been spent trying to get my setup right. Finally I have some

> > data which I hope to make something of but I really don't know what the

> > correct process steps are in MaxIm DL (or indeed if there is any particular

> > order I should do things in).

> >

> >

> >

> > I have in my possession some raw files from the weekend as follows:-

> >

> > A series of images of M104 (10 sec, 20 sec, 30, sec, 40 sec, 50 sec, 60 sec

> > and 90 sec exposure times). There are several per exposure time.

> >

> > A series of dark frames of the same exposure times. (I know ideally, I

> > should have flats and bias frames too but I haven't figured those out yet

> > !!)

> >

> >

> >

> > What I need to know is this..

> >

> > Do I need to do calibration on each of the frames before stacking or can I

> > do the calibration after stacking?

> >

> > What are the best settings for stacking?

> >

> > Do I need to do any color balancing? It's worth mentioning here that the

> > images were taken with an Orion Deep Space Color Imager II so that are no

> > LRGB frames.

> >

> > Are there any other steps that I need to perform to get a half reasonable

> > image?

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Thanks for your help in advance..

> >

> >

> >

> > Thanks and Best Regards

> >

> > Neil

> >

> >

> >

> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

> >

>







----------------------------

#52570 Mar 17, 2013

You may find these video tutorials of use:

starizona.com/acb/downloads/videos.aspx



Frank W

--- In MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Allison" neil.allison@...> wrote:

>

> Hi All

>

>

>

> I've been an avid subscriber to this group for quite some time and am

> constantly astonished at the wealth of knowledge on here. And I'm hoping

> that I can harvest a very small portion of this knowledge with my first

> post. It's a simple one J

>

>

>

> I've been into astrophotography for quite some time now but most of the last

> 12 months has been spent trying to get my setup right. Finally I have some

> data which I hope to make something of but I really don't know what the

> correct process steps are in MaxIm DL (or indeed if there is any particular

> order I should do things in).

>

>

>

> I have in my possession some raw files from the weekend as follows:-

>

> A series of images of M104 (10 sec, 20 sec, 30, sec, 40 sec, 50 sec, 60 sec

> and 90 sec exposure times). There are several per exposure time.

>

> A series of dark frames of the same exposure times. (I know ideally, I

> should have flats and bias frames too but I haven't figured those out yet

> !!)

>

>

>

> What I need to know is this..

>

> Do I need to do calibration on each of the frames before stacking or can I

> do the calibration after stacking?

>

> What are the best settings for stacking?

>

> Do I need to do any color balancing? It's worth mentioning here that the

> images were taken with an Orion Deep Space Color Imager II so that are no

> LRGB frames.

>

> Are there any other steps that I need to perform to get a half reasonable

> image?

>

>

>

>

>

> Thanks for your help in advance..

>

>

>

> Thanks and Best Regards

>

> Neil

>

>

>

> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

>



----------------------------

#52578 Mar 17, 2013

Thanks Frank







Some pretty awesome videos there !!!







Thanks and Best Regards



Neil







From: MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com [mailto:MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of

mwwielgus

Sent: Monday, 18 March 2013 3:45 AM

To: MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com

Subject: {Disarmed} [MaxImDL] Re: Where to start with processing images











You may find these video tutorials of use:

starizona.com/acb/downloads/videos.aspx



Frank W



--- In MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com mailto:MaxImDL%40yahoogroups.com> , "Neil

Allison" neil.allison@...> wrote: >

> Hi All

>

>

>

> I've been an avid subscriber to this group for quite some time and am

> constantly astonished at the wealth of knowledge on here. And I'm hoping

> that I can harvest a very small portion of this knowledge with my first

> post. It's a simple one J

>

>

>

> I've been into astrophotography for quite some time now but most of the

last > 12 months has been spent trying to get my setup right. Finally I have some

> data which I hope to make something of but I really don't know what the

> correct process steps are in MaxIm DL (or indeed if there is any

particular > order I should do things in).

>

>

>

> I have in my possession some raw files from the weekend as follows:-

>

> A series of images of M104 (10 sec, 20 sec, 30, sec, 40 sec, 50 sec, 60

sec > and 90 sec exposure times). There are several per exposure time.

>

> A series of dark frames of the same exposure times. (I know ideally, I

> should have flats and bias frames too but I haven't figured those out yet

> !!)

>

>

>

> What I need to know is this..

>

> Do I need to do calibration on each of the frames before stacking or can I

> do the calibration after stacking?

>

> What are the best settings for stacking?

>

> Do I need to do any color balancing? It's worth mentioning here that the

> images were taken with an Orion Deep Space Color Imager II so that are no

> LRGB frames.

>

> Are there any other steps that I need to perform to get a half reasonable

> image?

>

>

>

>

>

> Thanks for your help in advance..

>

>

>

> Thanks and Best Regards

>

> Neil

>

>

>

> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

>







No virus found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 2013.0.2904 / Virus Database: 2641/6154 - Release Date: 03/07/13

Internal Virus Database is out of date.







[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]







----------------------------

#60327 Apr 14, 2016

Hi, I'm beginning to learn how to process images I've taken of M81 / M82 taken over the month of March / April. On each imaging day I took LRGB, HA, SII OIII and Flats for each filter with the same optical setup and��so on.��I already have dark and bias frames.

How do I go about calibrating and stacking these? I would think I��have to��calibrate and stack��each day as a set��because the flats have to be associated with their lights for that specific evenings focus point and location of dust motes.

So assuming I did that how would I then align and combine the subsequent calibrated lights?

I don't know if you can or want to combine LRGB with the Narrow Band lights or not?

All pretty confusing. A good instructional source for CCD monochrome imaging would be a good start too.

Thanks in advance.Claude



----------------------------

#60328 Apr 15, 2016

Try viewing John Blackwell's Youtube videos on MaximDL for a start.�� They are decent videos and cover the basics.-Frank



----------------------------

#60329 Apr 15, 2016

Thank you I will work with this information. I have watched a few of John's excellent videos before and didn't know they may cover this too.

Claude

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Friday, April 15, 2016, 08:08, 'F Dibbell' lovin60@... [MaxImDL] MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

��Try viewing John Blackwell's Youtube videos on MaximDL for a start.�� They are decent videos and cover the basics.-Frank



----------------------------

#60330 Apr 15, 2016

Hi Claude,

You certainly jumped in deep water taking so many filters images, and just learning to do calibration. There are so many things that have to be done right, or result will be marginal! M81 was my first and favorite target. The Blackwell videos are great for learning using Maxim DL. For understanding how to take great images (which is a lot more than operating the camera and calibrating), I recommend Richard Berry's Handbook of Astronomical Image Processing.

Flats don't have to taken at same time /date as your raw images unless something change in you image train or a huge amount of dust flying aroud8k

Clear Skies,��

���� Roger

Sent from BlueMail

~����On Apr 15, 2016, at 10:08 PM, "'F Dibbell' lovin60@... [MaxImDL]" MaxImDL@yahoogroups.com> wrote:��Try viewing John Blackwell's Youtube videos on MaximDL for a start.�� They are decent videos and cover the basics.-Frank



Contact Us
This Site's Privacy Policy
Google's privacy policies

S
e
n
i
o
r
T
u
b
e
.
o
r
g