VintageBigBlue.org

 

Re: Play in Polar Scope


Aug 21, 2001

 


----------------------------

#5552 Aug 21, 2001

Hello Group,



There is a small amount of play in my polar scope. After aligning both

stars, they can move several minutes simply by lightly tapping on the polar

scope or by rotating it back and forth. I tried shimming using thin rubber

ring washers but with not much improvement. Anyone having similar

experience? Thanks!



----------------------------

#5555 Aug 21, 2001

I wrapped mine in some plumber's teflon tape and made it snug against

the mount, but it still rotates easily. It is impossible to remove

all play as the diaoper adjustment has some play there. The scope

when adjusted does a good job of finding the polar axis.





Tim

--- In Losmandy_users@y..., leakosg@a... wrote:

> Hello Group,

>

> There is a small amount of play in my polar scope. After aligning

both

> stars, they can move several minutes simply by lightly tapping on

the polar

> scope or by rotating it back and forth. I tried shimming using thin

rubber

> ring washers but with not much improvement. Anyone having similar

> experience? Thanks!



----------------------------

#5578 Aug 22, 2001

IMHO, the "new" (post-Dec 2000) polar scopes shouldn't do this. The

older ones had a reputation for it, however. If you're using an older

polar scope, bought your mount used, you would save yourself grief by

spending the $125-150 to get a new one (anacortes has them, or

orderfrom losmandy). I think the new scopes say "POLARIS" inside and

maybe even losmandy somewhere. The old scopes didn't, butI'm foggy on

these details.



I haven't noticed *play* in my polar scope so much as *variability*

from session to session. But I have discovered that by tightening the

clutch to the max, and then backing off two generous cranks, I get

consistently acceptable to very good results (dscs work to within

20-24 arc minutes on average, and better than that not infrequently)

It's kind of like a rain dance.



good luck



Greg Nowell



--- In Losmandy_users@y..., leakosg@a... wrote:

> Hello Group,

>

> There is a small amount of play in my polar scope. After aligning

both

> stars, they can move several minutes simply by lightly tapping on

the polar

> scope or by rotating it back and forth. I tried shimming using thin

rubber

> ring washers but with not much improvement. Anyone having similar

> experience? Thanks!



----------------------------

#5588 Aug 23, 2001

I got my polar scope from ATWB four months ago. It still has some

play in the reticle focuser part. To be sure, the movement is less

than a degree. Even with this play I still get close enough to the

pole to make it simple to do a drift align. The reticle has the

word "Polaris" on it.



-Paul

--- In Losmandy_users@y..., gnowell@w... wrote:

> IMHO, the "new" (post-Dec 2000) polar scopes shouldn't do this.

The

> older ones had a reputation for it, however. If you're using an

older

> polar scope, bought your mount used, you would save yourself grief

by

> spending the $125-150 to get a new one (anacortes has them, or

> orderfrom losmandy). I think the new scopes say "POLARIS" inside

and

> maybe even losmandy somewhere. The old scopes didn't, butI'm foggy

on

> these details.

>

> I haven't noticed *play* in my polar scope so much as *variability*

> from session to session. But I have discovered that by tightening

the

> clutch to the max, and then backing off two generous cranks, I get

> consistently acceptable to very good results (dscs work to within

> 20-24 arc minutes on average, and better than that not

infrequently)

> It's kind of like a rain dance.

>

> good luck

>

> Greg Nowell

>



----------------------------

#5598 Aug 23, 2001

If you mean that the little glass thing is moving around in there,

then I would send it back to them pronto. That little piece of glass

is extremely fragile. A few mavens on this group can actually adjust

that #!E@ing thing but others have found that their pains are rewarded

by a broken reticle.



Even if it's not the glass, I would send it back to them. You

shouldn't have a degree of visible *play*. As I've mentioned, you

might have variable *accuracy*, but you shouldn't be seeing this play.



Ask one of the Yorks in any case. -greg nowell

ps. one way not to lose observing time is to have them charge you to

ship a new one immediately and credit you back when they get the

defective unit.



--- In Losmandy_users@y..., "Paul K" pkane@h...> wrote:

> I got my polar scope from ATWB four months ago. It still has some

> play in the reticle focuser part. To be sure, the movement is less

> than a degree. Even with this play I still get close enough to the

> pole to make it simple to do a drift align. The reticle has the

> word "Polaris" on it.

>

> -Paul

>

> --- In Losmandy_users@y..., gnowell@w... wrote:

> > IMHO, the "new" (post-Dec 2000) polar scopes shouldn't do this.

> The

> > older ones had a reputation for it, however. If you're using an

> older

> > polar scope, bought your mount used, you would save yourself grief

> by

> > spending the $125-150 to get a new one (anacortes has them, or

> > orderfrom losmandy). I think the new scopes say "POLARIS" inside

> and

> > maybe even losmandy somewhere. The old scopes didn't, butI'm

foggy

> on

> > these details.

> >

> > I haven't noticed *play* in my polar scope so much as

*variability*

> > from session to session. But I have discovered that by tightening

> the

> > clutch to the max, and then backing off two generous cranks, I get

> > consistently acceptable to very good results (dscs work to within

> > 20-24 arc minutes on average, and better than that not

> infrequently)

> > It's kind of like a rain dance.

> >

> > good luck

> >

> > Greg Nowell

> >







Contact Us
This Site's Privacy Policy
Google's privacy policies

S
e
n
i
o
r
T
u
b
e
.
o
r
g