Re: [baofeng_uv5r] Re: Triband slimjim or both


Mar 18, 2013

 


----------------------------

#23799 Mar 18, 2013

Hi all



I'm looking at getting a external antenna as I'm struggling picking up signals with my radio and mfj1717



A slim jim would cost $30 tracked shipping



I am also looking maybe a triband antenna which one would be most suitable?



Thanks!



----------------------------

#23802 Mar 18, 2013

The MFJ should be OK. A .slimjim is .good. I don' think a tri-band would help. There are other factors involved. What are you trying to pick up? Whatr are your squelch settings and what version software does your radio have? Height is might when it comes to antennae. The Higher the better.

Most important first is what you are trying to receive.

AndyKF4GOM

-- "To err is human, To really screw up requires a computer"

Unknown



----------------------------

#23823 Mar 19, 2013

--- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Adams rluk82@...> wrote: >

> Hi all

>

> I'm looking at getting a external antenna as I'm struggling picking up signals with my radio and mfj1717

>

> A slim jim would cost $30 tracked shipping

>

> I am also looking maybe a triband antenna which one would be most suitable?

>

> Thanks!

>



Triband? Nowhere do I see that the UV-5R will operate on more than two bands.



Paul - AE5JU



----------------------------

#23824 Mar 19, 2013

True but if you have multiple radios and only want to use one antenna between them then it is reasonable.73,Alan ��� W6ARH ��Mobokits mobokits.stormwarning.org/UHFSDR Full Kit wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html�� $210 USD US and $215 DX�� Paypal money to my email adddress �� �� ��From: baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com [mailto:baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of tenorman1952Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 8:02 PMTo: baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.comSubject: [baofeng_uv5r] Re: Triband slimjim or both



----------------------------

#23833 Mar 19, 2013

I want to have something that can be bought for multiple radios the mfj1727 has improved it but I'm finding I'm having to position the radio carefully to get a signal

On 19 Mar 2013, at 03:12, "The Silver Fox" alan.r.hill@...> wrote:



��True but if you have multiple radios and only want to use one antenna between them then it is reasonable.73,Alan . W6ARH ��Mobokits mobokits.stormwarning.org/UHFSDR Full Kit wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html�� $210 USD US and $215 DX�� Paypal money to my email adddress �� �� ��From: baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com [mailto:baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of tenorman1952Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 8:02 PMTo: baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.comSubject: [baofeng_uv5r] Re: Triband slimjim or both



----------------------------

#23834 Mar 19, 2013

I'm trying to hit my local repeaters which are approx 9 mile away squelch is on 9 adjusting it doesn't seem to make a difference and the radio is on bfb297

On 18 Mar 2013, at 23:12, Andrew M kf4gom@...> wrote:



��The MFJ should be OK. A ��slimjim is ��good. I don' think a tri-band would help. There are other factors involved. What are you trying to pick up? Whatr are your squelch settings and what version software does your radio have? Height is might when it comes to antennae. The Higher the better.



Most important first is what you are trying to receive.

AndyKF4GOM

-- "To err is human, To really screw up requires a computer"

Unknown



----------------------------

#23840 Mar 19, 2013

Which band is the repeater on? 9 miles is a cakewalk unless you have terrain issues. I hit a 440 about 28-30 miles away with 1 watt, stock antenna. The caveat is I have direct line of site to the repeater from my home..

Set your squelch to 2. What happens when you set squelch to 0?

AndyKF4GOM

-- "To err is human, To really screw up requires a computer"

Unknown



----------------------------

#23841 Mar 19, 2013

It is on 433 there is alot of buildings in way so maybe that's causing it

If I adjust squelch I get the same results

On 19 Mar 2013, at 10:39, Andrew M kf4gom@...> wrote:



��Which band is the repeater on? 9 miles is a cakewalk unless you have terrain issues. I hit a 440 about 28-30 miles away with 1 watt, stock antenna. The caveat is I have direct line of site to the repeater from my home.��



Set your squelch to 2. What happens when you set squelch to 0?

AndyKF4GOM

-- "To err is human, To really screw up requires a computer"

Unknown



----------------------------

#23844 Mar 19, 2013

Does squelch "0" give you .all noise?

AndyKF4GOM

-- "To err is human, To really screw up requires a computer"

Unknown



----------------------------

#23845 Mar 19, 2013

It didn't at first but tried it again and yes it does

On 19 Mar 2013, at 13:33, Andrew M kf4gom@...> wrote:



��Does squelch "0" give you ��all noise?

AndyKF4GOM

-- "To err is human, To really screw up requires a computer"

Unknown



----------------------------

#23847 Mar 19, 2013

The slimjim has a high takeoff angle.It may help. Make sure to get the "HT saver" adapter if you order from N9TAX. pay attention and get the female sma on one end and the correct so-239 to mate with the antenna.

AndyKF4GOM

-- "To err is human, To really screw up requires a computer"

Unknown



----------------------------

#23849 Mar 19, 2013

Would there be a way to get a bnc connection on one end and a female adaptor to make it suitable for other radios to?

On 19 Mar 2013, at 14:25, Andrew M kf4gom@...> wrote:



��The slimjim has a high takeoff angle.It may help. Make sure to get the "HT saver" adapter if you order from N9TAX. pay attention and get the female sma on one end and the correct so-239 to mate with the antenna.



AndyKF4GOM

-- "To err is human, To really screw up requires a computer"

Unknown







----------------------------

#23851 Mar 19, 2013

I have a smiley variable length antenna that covers multiple bands.. Works very well for all my different vendor handhelds.73,

Alan - W6ARH



On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM, Ryan Adams rluk82@...> wrote:

.I want to have something that can be bought for multiple radios the mfj1727 has improved it but I'm finding I'm having to position the radio carefully to get a signal

On 19 Mar 2013, at 03:12, "The Silver Fox" alan.r.hill@...> wrote:



.True but if you have multiple radios and only want to use one antenna between them then it is reasonable.

73,Alan . W6ARH.Mobokits mobokits.stormwarning.org/UHFSDR Full Kit wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html. $210 USD US and $215 DX. Paypal money to my email adddress...From: baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com [mailto:baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of tenorman1952

Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 8:02 PMTo: baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.comSubject: [baofeng_uv5r] Re: Triband slimjim or both



----------------------------

#23858 Mar 19, 2013

On 3/19/13 10:27 AM, Ryan Adams wrote: > Would there be a way to get a bnc connection on one end and a female

> adaptor to make it suitable for other radios to?

>

> On 19 Mar 2013, at 14:25, Andrew M kf4gom@...

> mailto:kf4gom@...>> wrote:

>

>> The slimjim has a high takeoff angle.It may help. Make sure to get the

>> "HT saver" adapter if you order from N9TAX. pay attention and get the

>> female sma on one end and the correct so-239 to mate with the antenna.



.N9TAX will do anything you want, and is happy to sell related adapters.

I've been VERY happy with both of my SlimJims:



I bought one SlimJim with 16-ft of RG-58 and a male-SMA connector. I

also got a female-female adaptor. I found it easier to thread the f-f

adapter into the UV-5R, and then screw the barrel of the male SMA

connector onto the f-f adapter.



My other SlimJim was made with an SO-238 connector on the antenna

itself. I'm using a piece of LMR-400-like coax to connect to my UV-5R,

via HT-saver cable for use in my basement shack.





--



Drew from Zhrodague

lolcat divinator

drew@...



----------------------------

#23859 Mar 19, 2013

Thanks what is the most common connector for new base stations etc so I can have a standard connector and use adapters if needed

On 19 Mar 2013, at 15:28, Drew from Zhrodague drew@...> wrote:



��On 3/19/13 10:27 AM, Ryan Adams wrote:

> Would there be a way to get a bnc connection on one end and a female

> adaptor to make it suitable for other radios to?

>

> On 19 Mar 2013, at 14:25, Andrew M kf4gom@...

> mailto:kf4gom@...>> wrote:

>

>> The slimjim has a high takeoff angle.It may help. Make sure to get the

>> "HT saver" adapter if you order from N9TAX. pay attention and get the

>> female sma on one end and the correct so-239 to mate with the antenna.



N9TAX will do anything you want, and is happy to sell related adapters.

I've been VERY happy with both of my SlimJims:



I bought one SlimJim with 16-ft of RG-58 and a male-SMA connector. I

also got a female-female adaptor. I found it easier to thread the f-f

adapter into the UV-5R, and then screw the barrel of the male SMA

connector onto the f-f adapter.



My other SlimJim was made with an SO-238 connector on the antenna

itself. I'm using a piece of LMR-400-like coax to connect to my UV-5R,

via HT-saver cable for use in my basement shack.



--



Drew from Zhrodague

lolcat divinator

drew@...



----------------------------

#23885 Mar 19, 2013

If I'm listening to things I can get some people talking but others have loads if noise squelch is on 5 could this be the antenna ?



----------------------------

#23905 Mar 20, 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Ryan Adams rluk82@...> wrote:

.If I'm listening to things I can get some people talking but others have loads if noise squelch is on 5 could this be the antenna ?



----------------------------

#23916 Mar 20, 2013

Thanks

I can pick up some things but have to position the radio well sometimes someone can be heard well but other times it can be noisy on the same frequency

On 20 Mar 2013, at 00:18, Colorado Rob colorado.rob@...> wrote:



��

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Ryan Adams rluk82@...> wrote:

��If I'm listening to things I can get some people talking but others have loads if noise squelch is on 5 could this be the antenna ?



----------------------------

#23917 Mar 20, 2013

The normal local fm radio stations are picking up much better with this antenna it's just other things that seem to be hard to get or noisy

On 20 Mar 2013, at 00:18, Colorado Rob colorado.rob@...> wrote:



��

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Ryan Adams rluk82@...> wrote:

��If I'm listening to things I can get some people talking but others have loads if noise squelch is on 5 could this be the antenna ?



Contact Us
This Site's Privacy Policy
Google's privacy policies

S
e
n
i
o
r
T
u
b
e
.
o
r
g