Re: [ap-ug] a couple of newbie questions


Nov 11, 2007

 


----------------------------

#37796 Nov 11, 2007

Hi Mike:

My opinions on a couple of your questions:

1. I leave the rings of my Starfire 130 EDFs on the dovetail and put just

the OTA in the hard case that it came in. No bag. To put the scope back on

the mount, I rotate the mount so the opened rings provide a horizontal

cradle (for safety) so there's no danger of slipping and falling. On those

occasions when I want to change scopes, I have a separate dovetail for the

12.5 inch RC, so I put the Starfire back in its case and then remove the

entire Starfire dovetail+rings assembly from the mount.

2. I never liked the idea of marring the paint on the Starfire ota, so I

attach nothing to it. I put a second dovetail on top of the rings and mount

the Telrad and other accessories on the top dovetail. I use the goto

approach to finding targets, so I have never bothered with a finder scope. I

do use a guide scope when doing H-alpha imaging, but that's mounted on a

Losmandy side-by-side arrangement in a separate set of rings.

Hope this helps...

Bert



katzung1@...

www.astronomy-images.com

www.visionlightgallery.com/katzung/

----- Original Message -----

From: "pa4stroke" pa4stroke@...>

To: ap-ug@yahoogroups.com>

Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2007 9:38 AM

Subject: [ap-ug] a couple of newbie questions





> Hi,

> Got my AP 140 a few weeks ago, picked up a suitable mount last week,

> dovetail showed up yesterday so i was actually able to mount it up,

> indoors, weather isnt cooperating, tonight should be the night

> though.

>

> anyway here are my questions. I assumed i'd be able to leave the

> rings attached but it doesnt fit in the case. so am i correct in

> assuming that i should be using those two straps that came with it

> to lift it out of the case and place it into the rings? is it safer

> to have the rings on the mount or on a table first and then hoist it

> up together?

>

> anyone put it back in the bag too or is that overkill?

>

> the dewshield: just loosen the screw and slide it? afraid i'll

> scratch it!

>

> is it a bad idea to stick a telrad base right on the tube?

>

> I assume the two pairs of screws on the focuser assembly are for a

> finder? any recomendations? i have an antares 50mm on a celestron

> quick release but the base is meant for a much larger tube, so it

> doesnt seat very well...

>

> Thanks in advance for the help. i'm laying it all out there! i may

> be new to AP but for what its worth, i was smart enough to hit their

> booth first at neaf and get on the list!

>

> best regards,

> Mike

>

>

>

>

> To UNSUBSCRIBE, or for general information on the ap-ug list

> see groups.yahoo.com/group/ap-ug

> Yahoo! Groups Links

>

>

>

>



----------------------------

#37797 Nov 11, 2007

Please see below: >

> anyway here are my questions. I assumed i'd be able to leave the

> rings attached but it doesnt fit in the case. so am i correct in

> assuming that i should be using those two straps that came with it

> to lift it out of the case and place it into the rings? is it safer

> to have the rings on the mount or on a table first and then hoist it

> up together?

>

The straps are just for lifting it out of the case.

I mount the rings for my 160 on the mount first with the rings on top,

pointed east and west.

I open them and place the OTA in the rings and then close and 'lock' the

rings. >

> anyone put it back in the bag too or is that overkill?

>

Overkill...the plastic bag might be used for long term storage. >

> the dewshield: just loosen the screw and slide it? afraid i'll

> scratch it!

>

That's how its designed and it won't scratch anything. >

> is it a bad idea to stick a telrad base right on the tube?.

>

No, attaching a Telrad with the foam tape is no problem.

The usual off white speckle paint AP uses is very hard and the foam tape can

be easily removed. >

> I assume the two pairs of screws on the focuser assembly are for a

> finder? any recomendations? i have an antares 50mm on a celestron

> quick release but the base is meant for a much larger tube, so it

> doesnt seat very well...

>

Yes, their mounting points for whatever you want to mount on the OTA.

I have a TV Starbeam on one and a SBIG efinder and remote guide head on the

other. >

>

> Kent Kirkley











**************************************

See what's new at www.aol.com





[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


S
e
n
i
o
r
T
u
b
e
.
o
r
g