[ap-gto] Re: 600 GTO Instrument Capacity


Aug 11, 1999

 


----------------------------

#103 Aug 11, 1999

Hi all -



I have a 600 GTO with the wooden tripod on order with AP (not due until spring,

unfortunately). Initially I will use my Traveler on this (I know the 600 is

overkill), but I plan to eventually acquire an SCT -- of course I might just

succumb and buy one ahead of the 600's arrival.



I do have a quick question for the group. What have you experienced in the way

of SCT capacity for the 600 GTO, particularly when doing any kind of imaging? I

am assuming that an 8" will be fine; will the 600 work with the Celestron 9

1/2"? Is a larger SCT out of the question?



Also, for visual work how large an SCT would be workable?



Thanks for any input and best regards,



Paul Schroeder



----------------------------

#104 Aug 11, 1999

Paul_Schroeder@... wrote:

> Hi all -

>

> I have a 600 GTO with the wooden tripod on order with AP (not due until spring,

> unfortunately). Initially I will use my Traveler on this (I know the 600 is

> overkill), but I plan to eventually acquire an SCT -- of course I might just

> succumb and buy one ahead of the 600's arrival.

>

> I do have a quick question for the group. What have you experienced in the way

> of SCT capacity for the 600 GTO, particularly when doing any kind of imaging? I



Hi,



I currently image with a C11 on an AP600 mount. It is workable with three counter-

weights and a dovetail plate, but I've ordered an AP900 for greater stability. A big



reason for this is that I use a fairly heavy camera (ST7) and a very heavy flip

mirror

(Van Slyke Slider).



For visualy, I think it's great, but I do recommend getting three counterweights.



Bob Kuberek



----------------------------

#105 Aug 11, 1999

I have a 600 GTO with the wooden tripod on order with AP (not due until

>spring,

>unfortunately). Initially I will use my Traveler on this (I know the 600 is

>overkill), but I plan to eventually acquire an SCT -- of course I might just

>succumb and buy one ahead of the 600's arrival.

>

>I do have a quick question for the group. What have you experienced in

>the way

>of SCT capacity for the 600 GTO, particularly when doing any kind of

>imaging? I

>am assuming that an 8" will be fine; will the 600 work with the Celestron 9

>1/2"? Is a larger SCT out of the question?

>

>Also, for visual work how large an SCT would be workable?

>

>Thanks for any input and best regards,

>

>Paul Schroeder







Hi Paul,



Put your 600 on one of A-P's portable piers, and you'll greatly increase

it's load capacity concerning small tremors - as with photography. It's not

so much that it can hold more weight with the pier, it's that the vibration

is significantly diminished, as well as an increase in wind resistance.

People have put a C9.25 on a 400 mount on a pier succesfully for

photographic purposes - a C11 on a 600/pier should be fine, and more

portable than a 900.



Clear Skies,



John



----------------------------

#106 Aug 11, 1999

John Mensick wrote:

>

> Hi Paul,

>

> Put your 600 on one of A-P's portable piers, and you'll greatly increase

> it's load capacity concerning small tremors - as with photography. It's not

> so much that it can hold more weight with the pier, it's that the vibration

> is significantly diminished, as well as an increase in wind resistance.

> People have put a C9.25 on a 400 mount on a pier succesfully for

> photographic purposes - a C11 on a 600/pier should be fine, and more

> portable than a 900.



Just to clarify my earlier response, the C11 works fine on the AP600. However,

it doesn't quite balance in DEC with all my imaging stuff hanging off the back.

The

pier is a great idea, though.



Bob Kuberek



----------------------------

#107 Aug 12, 1999

Hi Paul;



Ofcourse not always possible, I have a astro pier which does make a big difference.

Using a AP 600 mount I have the AP 130mm and also the Meade 10". I use the special

dovetail plate supplied by AP and the sliding plate supplied by Losmandy all of

which you can get directly from AP.

The wood tripod will not give you the results you may seek in the future and would

consider AP 6" 48" pier...easy to setup but not as pretty as the wood tripod...or if

you have a spot that you can use frequently nothing would beat the permanent astro

pier.

LASTLY, AP SERVICE IS OUTSTANDING..CALL MARJ OR CHRISTINE, TELL THEM YOUR PLAN AND

THEY WILL GUIDE YOU. IF THEY FEEL THE AP 600 WILL NOT HANDLE YOUR NEEDS YOU CAN BE

ASSURED THE HONEST AND CORRECT ANSWERS WILL BE SUPPLIED TO YOU.

Have fun and hope you get you setup shortly...it only took 8 months for me to get my

600.

Howard Lazarus



Paul_Schroeder@... wrote:

> Hi all -

>

> I have a 600 GTO with the wooden tripod on order with AP (not due until spring,

> unfortunately). Initially I will use my Traveler on this (I know the 600 is

> overkill), but I plan to eventually acquire an SCT -- of course I might just

> succumb and buy one ahead of the 600's arrival.

>

> I do have a quick question for the group. What have you experienced in the way

> of SCT capacity for the 600 GTO, particularly when doing any kind of imaging? I

> am assuming that an 8" will be fine; will the 600 work with the Celestron 9

> 1/2"? Is a larger SCT out of the question?

>

> Also, for visual work how large an SCT would be workable?

>

> Thanks for any input and best regards,

>

> Paul Schroeder

>

---------------

> Click here for 4 FREE TRIAL ISSUES of Sports Illustrated! If you're

> satisfied, your subscription will continue at the guaranteed lowest rate

> of $.75 an issue for 52 issues! clickhere.egroups.com/click/678

>

> eGroups.com home: www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

> www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications







----------------------------

#111 Aug 15, 1999

Or, attach the 600 mount ring to a Losmady semi-pier and tripod

for the G11.



Rich



>Hi Paul,

>

>Put your 600 on one of A-P's portable piers, and you'll greatly increase

>it's load capacity concerning small tremors - as with photography. It's not

>so much that it can hold more weight with the pier, it's that the vibration

>is significantly diminished, as well as an increase in wind resistance.

>People have put a C9.25 on a 400 mount on a pier succesfully for

>photographic purposes - a C11 on a 600/pier should be fine, and more

>portable than a 900.

>

>Clear Skies,

>

>John

>

>

>

>

>

---------------

>Click here for 4 FREE TRIAL ISSUES of Sports Illustrated! If you're

>satisfied, your subscription will continue at the guaranteed lowest rate

>of $.75 an issue for 52 issues! clickhere.egroups.com/click/678

>

>

>eGroups.com home: www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

>www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications

>

>

>

>



Contact Us
This Site's Privacy Policy
Google's privacy policies

S
e
n
i
o
r
T
u
b
e
.
o
r
g