Re: Good 12V Power Supply


Sep 1, 2005

 


----------------------------

#13403 Sep 1, 2005

After having a cheap 12 volt supply (Pyramid, the ones Kendrick sells), fail

while running a previous scope, when I got my AP1200 I did a little

research, and found a supply that is popular with amateur radio operators,

who are also running expensive equipment at 12 volts: The DM-330MV at

www.alinco.com/usa.html . They are widely available, have plenty of

excess capacity for slewing, adjustable voltage, and most importantly are

well built with circuits to protect against failure.



I teach Electrical Engineering, and believe me, you should not risk your AP

(or any other) mount by using a Radio Shack or Pyramid power supply - there

is no comparison.



I did open up the supply and change the green LEDs to red, but you can just

cover them.



- Barry



----------------------------

#13407 Sep 1, 2005

Hi Barry,

I have a couple questions for you.

1. Where did you buy it? I looked at the specs and it is clearly

superior to the Pyramid supplies.

2. What failure mechanism did the Pyramid supply have and did it

affect the units under power.

Thanks, Rick



P.S. I won't be out at dark sky this weekend, so hopefully I will see

you next month.

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Megdal" bmegdal@s...> wrote:

> After having a cheap 12 volt supply (Pyramid, the ones Kendrick

sells), fail

> while running a previous scope, when I got my AP1200 I did a little

> research, and found a supply that is popular with amateur radio

operators,

> who are also running expensive equipment at 12 volts: The DM-330MV

at

> www.alinco.com/usa.html . They are widely available, have

plenty of

> excess capacity for slewing, adjustable voltage, and most

importantly are

> well built with circuits to protect against failure.

>

> I teach Electrical Engineering, and believe me, you should not risk

your AP

> (or any other) mount by using a Radio Shack or Pyramid power

supply - there

> is no comparison.

>

> I did open up the supply and change the green LEDs to red, but you

can just

> cover them.

>

> - Barry



----------------------------

#13421 Sep 2, 2005

Rick:

I bought it from Ham Radio Outlet in Burbank......most amateur radio shops

should have them or have access to them



The Pyramid supply fortunately failed in a way that didn't affect the

connected scope, but after I took it apart at looked at how basic a design

it is, with minimal protection, it could just as well have failed in a worse

way. The Alinco supply is in a completely different category design-wise,

and also since it is a switching supply, it weighs less than the Pyramid,

but runs cool and can put out far more current (30 amps I believe).



I won't be at the club dark sky party either, so hope to see you next month.



- Barry







*****************************************************************

Message: 5

Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:25:34 -0000

From: "Rick Wiggins" rickwiggins@...>

Subject: Re: Good 12V Power Supply



Hi Barry,

I have a couple questions for you.

1. Where did you buy it? I looked at the specs and it is clearly

superior to the Pyramid supplies.

2. What failure mechanism did the Pyramid supply have and did it

affect the units under power.

Thanks, Rick



P.S. I won't be out at dark sky this weekend, so hopefully I will see

you next month.

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Megdal" bmegdal@s...> wrote:

> After having a cheap 12 volt supply (Pyramid, the ones Kendrick

sells), fail

> while running a previous scope, when I got my AP1200 I did a little

> research, and found a supply that is popular with amateur radio

operators,

> who are also running expensive equipment at 12 volts: The DM-330MV

at

> www.alinco.com/usa.html . They are widely available, have

plenty of

> excess capacity for slewing, adjustable voltage, and most

importantly are

> well built with circuits to protect against failure.

>

> I teach Electrical Engineering, and believe me, you should not risk

your AP

> (or any other) mount by using a Radio Shack or Pyramid power

supply - there

> is no comparison.

>

> I did open up the supply and change the green LEDs to red, but you

can just

> cover them.

>

> - Barry



----------------------------

#13423 Sep 2, 2005

Hi Barry,

I found the Alinco for $149 on the internet:

www.mpaudio1.com/alincoaccessories.html

Is this a good price?



Initially when I selected my supply, I was concerned about any noise

generated from the supply. Ideally I would use batteries, but this is

inconvenient when AC is readilly available. I then picked the Pyramid

because so many AP users ues it with success. In fact, I have never

heard of any damage and your case is actually the first failure I

have heard of. I was additionally concerned about switching supplies

generating noise. Since I am imaging, I want no more noise being

generated than is absolutely necesary. Do you have any feel for the

noise on the output line of the Alinco?

Thanks, Rick

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Megdal" bmegdal@s...> wrote:

> Rick:

> I bought it from Ham Radio Outlet in Burbank......most amateur

radio shops

> should have them or have access to them

>

> The Pyramid supply fortunately failed in a way that didn't affect

the

> connected scope, but after I took it apart at looked at how basic a

design

> it is, with minimal protection, it could just as well have failed

in a worse

> way. The Alinco supply is in a completely different category

design-wise,

> and also since it is a switching supply, it weighs less than the

Pyramid,

> but runs cool and can put out far more current (30 amps I believe).

>

> I won't be at the club dark sky party either, so hope to see you

next month.

>

> - Barry

>

>

>

> *****************************************************************

> Message: 5

> Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:25:34 -0000

> From: "Rick Wiggins" rickwiggins@e...>

> Subject: Re: Good 12V Power Supply

>

> Hi Barry,

> I have a couple questions for you.

> 1. Where did you buy it? I looked at the specs and it is clearly

> superior to the Pyramid supplies.

> 2. What failure mechanism did the Pyramid supply have and did it

> affect the units under power.

> Thanks, Rick

>

> P.S. I won't be out at dark sky this weekend, so hopefully I will

see

> you next month.

>

> --- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Megdal" bmegdal@s...> wrote:

> > After having a cheap 12 volt supply (Pyramid, the ones Kendrick

> sells), fail

> > while running a previous scope, when I got my AP1200 I did a

little

> > research, and found a supply that is popular with amateur radio

> operators,

> > who are also running expensive equipment at 12 volts: The DM-

330MV

> at

> > www.alinco.com/usa.html . They are widely available, have

> plenty of

> > excess capacity for slewing, adjustable voltage, and most

> importantly are

> > well built with circuits to protect against failure.

> >

> > I teach Electrical Engineering, and believe me, you should not

risk

> your AP

> > (or any other) mount by using a Radio Shack or Pyramid power

> supply - there

> > is no comparison.

> >

> > I did open up the supply and change the green LEDs to red, but

you

> can just

> > cover them.

> >

> > - Barry







----------------------------

#13433 Sep 5, 2005

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Wiggins" rickwiggins@e...> wrote: > Hi Barry,

> I found the Alinco for $149 on the internet:

> www.mpaudio1.com/alincoaccessories.html

> Is this a good price?

>



Yes, Rick, that is a fair price.



I am also a ham radio operator, but haven't done much in recent years. One of the most

popular models around is the Astron RS-35A (or -35M, if you have to have the meters, which

I think are less desireable when we astronomers are looking for ways to cut down on

extaneous light). This has been around for at least 20 years, and is built like a tank. I know a

lot of hams who swear by it. Mine has run my astro gear since the mid 1990's without a

hitch. Another plus is the lighted switch is RED.



Ronnie



----------------------------

#13434 Sep 5, 2005

I want no more noise being > generated than is absolutely necesary. Do you have any feel for the

> noise on the output line of the Alinco? Rick

>

Rick, a few hams have reported some noise in the low bands, but I doubt that you would have

any problems. These newer switching supplies are much better and more reliable than the

old ones. I still like my old linear, but Astron and others have a lot of happy customers with

the switching supplies. You may want to go to eHam.net reviews and click on the link for

power supplies.



Ronnie


S
e
n
i
o
r
T
u
b
e
.
o
r
g